Friday, May 29, 2015

The finishing process / What's On the Bench


This has been on my mind a lot in recent days, and something I have experimented a fair amount with. There are really two types of final finish applied go the holster once it is done.

The most popular is the acrylic resolene.  I apply it with a foam paint brush and it gives a more deeper, even shiny finish for sure. The purpose is to seal the leather to protect both the leather and your clothing. On a sweaty day the dye on the leather can bleed onto clothing if the leather is not sealed.  

The other method is less permanent and comes in many forms. Less shinny, is a tan kote or bag cote finish.  My personal belt is finished with Aussie leather conditioner (there are endless types of "wax" finishes).  The biggest deterrent from these, in favor of acrylic resolene is that they require maintenance. Since I recently made my new belt I have reapplied a cleaning wax one time.  On the plus side, the belt looks brand new after waxing. Though it is not much work, most would rather the maintenance free resolene.  The more natural finishes result in a more natural look as opposed the more shiny look.  But as Jeff Foxworthy says "rednecks like shiny"

Unless otherwise requested I finish all belts and holsters with acrylic resolene but it is worth reading this to know there are options.

Be sure and check out my totally new web site   bambamholsters.com

What's On the Bench


Up first is a cowboy style holster for a raging judge 454 casual.  Finished in an antique brown.
And next is and avenger for a commander size 1911 (not the gun pictured).  
Finished in Brandy.  
Per the customers request, I put a concho on the re-enforcement piece. 
From now on if my gut says it is not a good idea, I simply won't do it.  
He also wanted black thread, which I never dreamed it would look as good as it does. 
I like it

And a Glock 42 Skinny in Black

This has to be the most "exact" repeat holster that I have done. Glock 19 wingman in the oil sun tanned leather.   

Proto type "2" smart phone holder.
Made some changes from the first one and there are a few more after making this one.
Famous last words "the next one will be the finished "standard".
Once I get this like I want it, I just bought some very cool alligator embossed cow hide leather that I think is going to be awesome.


And the "lefty" XDM compact 3,8 (not the gun pictured) Avenger.
Dyed Brandy with black airbrushed acccents.


The Bench is empty.....If you have wanted to order one .....now is the time. I have four I have to start on.


No comments:

Post a Comment