Saturday, March 19, 2016

Situational awareness / What's On The Bench

Visit the web page Bam Bam Holsters

I got to have a little range time recently. One of my drills I always work on is based around the statistical fact that the typical gunfight happens within 3 feet 3 shots and is over in 3 seconds. 

I put up a two targets and put three rounds in each target while using a Shot Timer.  

I am no speed demon I fully realize this. In my drill, the most important thing I'm looking for is how fast the first shot gets on target and that the remaining shots are on target within the 3 seconds.

Drawing from the appendix position, the fastest draw that I can get on target and 1.3 seconds. Completing the shooting in 3 seconds.  I was shooting two targets, each target receiving two to the body and one to the head. It's a good drill for anybody to practice. 

My real learning observation was when I start with my hand on the gun and waiting for the timer to go off. This is to simulate the possibility that I know something looks out of place and I simply have my hand under my shirt as if propped up in my belt but I'm holding my gun. To my astonishment the first round is off .56 seconds. 

Realizing the average gunfight only lasts three seconds if I am aware of the bad things about to happen getting the first shot of in 1/2 second compared to 1 1/2 seconds means I am in the fight 1/6 of the way through instead of halfway through. Think about it.



FRESH OFF THE BENCH

Avenger for a Taurus 85. Color is Cordovan and walnut

Glock 19 Avenger. Color Cordovan and Walnut

Clipper for a 3 inch 1911. Brandy with airbrushed black accents

Avenger for a Smith and Wesson SDVE and a taller than normal double mag carrier

Wingman for a Glock 26

Clipper for a Glock 19 and an omni for an XDS

I call it a crippled omni. Stationary clip for a sig 938

Omni for Ruger LCP  with thumb break






No comments:

Post a Comment