Sunday, October 11, 2015

The Gun Guys Most Practiced Rule of Gun Saftey

Everyone should know and live the four rules of gun safety.
1.  Treat every gun as if it is loaded
2.  Keep your finger off the trigger until the sights are on the target.
3.  Never point your gun at something you are not willing to destroy
4.  Be aware of your target and what is beyond your target.

If you are a "Guy Guy", you can quote these with out a problem.  Once you have been aware of these rules for a while, they become habit.  I think there is a danger to be aware of and a need to be reminded, especially to those that are Gun Guys.

There comes a time when handling guns becomes routine. I wear a gun every day and that part can be routine, but other than a press check, the gun stays in a safe position......that is what a holster is.  I handle guns untold number of times a day in holster making.  I dry fire with a handgun until the movements come naturally and until many of the things happen without thought.  In the handling of firearms ........it can become routine, and forgetful that were are handling deadly force.

I think one of the most repeated lectures to myself is about rule number one.  When you are handling a gun for other reasons than shooting it is the most important rule that we should never be forgetful of. One of the DUMBEST things we can tell ourselves is something like :I know its unloaded, I just took it out of the safe". When someone hands you a gun to look at and says it's not loaded, the automatic response should be a empty check and rack the slide 2-3 times.  If the gun is unloaded, no harm no foul. If the magazine is inadvertently left in........bullets will come flying out on the second pull of the slide happens.  If nothing comes out, we have not hurt anything, and can let the "I said it was unloaded" just go in one ear and out the other. May-bey explain what we did as an opportunity to remind what is the most important rule to the Gun Guy that handles guns a little more than the average gun guy.

Credit where credit is due  http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/tag/ben-branam is where I learned the rack the slide three time things. It is a great show

To me, the scariest "gun people" are those that say something to the effect of....."I have handled guns all my life and I know when my gun is unloaded" or any other myriad of over confident speeches.  Yet that devastated look will always be the same when that "unloaded" gun goes bang instead of click. When I was very young, I will never forget a friend of mine, who to this days, lives with the regret of killing a little nephew because the unloaded shotgun he was cleaning went off. Think about it.......I do, and then I catch myself in a "routine" and lecture myself more firmly than you can imagine.........That routine handling of a gun can have devastating results if the "unloaded gun" is mysteriously loaded because because I forgot to check it.

What's On The Bench

Springfield Armory 1911

A set up for a 4 inch 1911. This 1911 has a rail, which complicates things. A railed gun has to have teh holster loose around the rail, otherwise the rail will snag on the draw stroke. Then that makes it challenging to have proper retention over all.  Nailed it!  Good retention and draw stroke as well. The customer was very pleased with it as well/




Taurus Judge Public Defender

Avenger holster for the big boy.  Colors are airbrushed black accents on Brandy.



 Glock 43 Avenger Holster




Glock 19 2 Clip Holster that I am calling the Clipper

This is the 2nd one that I have made. Has a slight change from the one last week.



Still on the Bench

There are 4. Two completes that have not made it to the camera. The other to are pretty close to done.

Two more Clippers. A Glock 19 and a 1911.






















No comments:

Post a Comment