Friday, January 9, 2015

Men are welcome to drop their pants in my shop / What's on the bench

The Future Of Bam Bam Holsters (Levy, Bam Bam's Grandbaby)

It happens all the time, so I might as well invite it. To men, it just comes natural, we undo our britches to try on a holster. I don't know if you ladies do that or not but gundudes just seem comfortable with it.


This was left with me after customer picked up his onmi
Just from my personal observation, the most popular holster to day is the hybrid holster.  It is just what every one uses, so it is what everyone else uses, because "everyone is using it". Its cheaper to produce since the plastic costs less than leather. It cheaper because production of time is way less. It is claimed to be better because it is a faster draw or slicker coming out of the holsters. I am not sure that a slicker draw is what was intended with a holster? I think the reason for the popularity is that when we buy our first gun, we are not sure about spending a lot of money on gun stuff. In our lack of understanding, we buy the cheapest thing possible for our first new gun. And it works! As far as we know? But we don't know, because we have no experience when we first start out.
When men have dropped there bitches in my shop it is by invitation to try on a holster. I invite them to try on different styles of holsters. The leather always wins! If I lend a few to try for a couple of days, most have been drawn to my single clip Omni. One reason is because it takes up less real estate on the belt. Another reason I have seen many times as they undo their britches over and over. "Well, I never thought about it, but it could go here as well". AND with one holster they get to experiment with so many carry positions. I have always encourages new shooters to not get locked into one idea of how to carry. Be "open" enough to realize there is more than one way.

Whats On The Bench


Finished Up

Ruger GP100 Avenger
Shield avenger with alligator inlay


Below is an SDS Omni. I put and additional t-nut to get the holster lower if needed


 Below is a Shield Omni. Again with additional adjustment to depth of position


1 1/4 Dress gun-belt for myself



In The Works

Gun belt in the makings
Strips are cut from the bend of leather (the back)

Two thickness together are just over 2 tenths of an inch

Glue them together


Sandwich and weight them down to set the bond

Trim edges, sand, sand, and sand some more

Dye 

Burnish, burnish and burnish some more then seal it twice
Glock 19 Omni
It will be a washed brown. When wet molded the color changes dramtaically

A Tomcat 32



 Working on some lefties.  Glock 42 and a shield


 I encourage any questions or comments




No comments:

Post a Comment