Friday, November 21, 2014

Introducing the OMNI / Whats On The Bench



Most holsters that I make are simply holsters that I saw somewhere else and thought they were a very good designs. Not the case with the Omni. I just wanted one that does exactly what "I" wanted for the way "I" carry. Most of the time I carry in the appendix position which is up front around 1 o'clock. Once you get past the reality of where that gun is aimed it is the most comfortable and practical carry position for me. It isn't for everybody and I fully realize that. The original Omni has a single clip centered on the gun itself. It can be locked down so it wont move, but worn in appendix I actually like a little movement, so my clip is not as tight as it could be on my personal carry gun. 



 
The Omni "skinny" is the regular Omni made as thin as possible. Two pieces of thin leather glued together with a kydex stiffener in the mouth to ensure it stays open during re-holstering.  The more I wear my omni skinny, the more ways I find to wear it - mostly appendix and small of the back, occasionally on the hip, and when on a road trip, I have slipped it on cross draw. Each place the cant changes easily to accommodate.  Admittedly, it is purposed for appendix carry, but I can't think of a more practical every day holster in my opinion.

There are several variations of the Omni and the rest stem from evolving the design for carry on the hip area. When the clip is locked down it will not move more than normal one-clip holsters. When the holster is new and the leather has not broken in there will need to be a few tightening adjustments needed as the leather compresses from the pressure of the clip.  That being said one-clip holsters can wiggle a little. Again me personally I like that. We don't want to repeatedly play with our gun in public as others may become curious. That is what is called a "tell" which creates unwanted attention. However, when I get in my truck I have a habit of adjusting it to a more comfortable angle. And there are other examples when this is beneficial in my opinion. I also seem to repeatedly find occasions when I have to take my gun off for some reason. A one clip holster is just as easy as it gets. I have had customers tell me this is a major benefit.  


The Pro's
  • Can be used in so many carry positions.
  • Easy off and on, we are talking one handed removal and replacement. 
  • Very little real estate on the belt. Basically the width of the gun at the trigger guard to slide area. I have a size 38 waist and some holsters want to take up any where from 7 to 11 inches of it.
The Con's 
  • Will wiggle or walk (cant decide which word best describes the fact that the cant can change) more than a 2-clip or strap holster.
  • Not sure it is a "con" but the Omni is not a flat back holster, which means the contour of the gun is felt against the body. 
 
Any time you are weighing the "pro's" and "con's" you always have to remind yourself that the opposite of "progress" is...........wait for it..........."congress,"




What's On The Bench

The cowboy Belt finally got finished.  My personal stuff gets put on the back burner a lot.


Finished another Wingman. I think I will make a few more changes to this model and then it should become a standard.  A little more trimming on the left side and a little adding on the re-enforcement and I think it will bring it a little better.



A ruger SR40 Avenger with a thumb break.




A cowboy holster for a 5 1/2  SA 22. 

















 I can now build holsters for the "shield.  I have made one earlier (had to have the customers gun) but just got a blue gun to be able to make an infinite supply of them.



No comments:

Post a Comment