Saturday, November 1, 2014

Why I started my Holster Hobby/Business.




I will have to admit that I have thought about it for some time. A while back I did a little research and found that there are a lot of people that make holsters as Hobby/business. The grim reality is that it would be very difficult to grow a full time business, so money is not the object by any means.

I have made several holsters for family and friends and with each holster, I would learn and add some new detail to the process. In the course of this time I would see people, both local and on the internet, selling holsters and was shocked by a few things. My honest thought on many occasions was "I can do better than that. Really look at..."  and thought of the faults in appearance, design and ability to function would rattle around in my brain. This happened time and time again.

Now I do not consider myself and expert. I know with out a doubt that I can build a holster that is aesthetically pleasing and more importantly, one that is built with a clearly defined purpose in mind while being safe and functional.

When you look at custom made leather holsters it becomes vary apparent some holsters makers are far better than others. The most sought after holster makers have their  reputation due to the quality of their work. These holsters fetch a handsome price because of the confidence one has to acquire a great product. Yet they all started somewhere. Here I am, starting. Will I be as good as them? Come along for the ride and time will tell.  My prices are about 30% - 60% of what I consider accomplished holster makers. I am not in it for the money at this point. I am in it to build that reputation of a quality holster maker. 

It is discouraging to me when people see my work and compliment the "looks of the holster"  even though I think they ought to look nice. There is nothing wrong with taking pride in what you wear on your belt.  To me when I see a good holster, what I see is a holster that just fits like a glove because the retention is in the sweet spot.  Just enough that the holster must be gently shaken upside down to release the gun, yet when on the belt the release is without struggle.   

Why launch a leather holster business some might ask. Because it is fun to follow your passions!

No comments:

Post a Comment