Friday, November 28, 2014

My Major Slow Down / What's on the Bench



Purchased a Cowboy 3200  and have been spending most of my time figuring it out.

One thing I have noticed as I began making a study of leather work.  Everyone starts off with  hand stitching, and the old adage is "sell what you have".  People will automatically say that a hand stitch is stronger, until they get a machine and then it is how a machine is stronger.

I will say this, Hand stitching is easier to get good at. I have hours of figuring out this beast. The sewing itself (I have never sewn) is pretty easy. The back stitching and adjusting thread tension is sleepless nights. A regular sewing machine does simple fabric which is all thin stuff, this machine sets up for paper thin to 1/2 inch thickness. That's where the fun starts.

 Just a random shot. All the pieces of thread are from the start and stop attempts. Every little piece of leather on the floor has practice sewing done on it. I think all the heartache has resulted in understanding the way the machine works and how to adjust accordingly.

 While I was waiting on this machine all the projects were built up to the stitching phase, then put on hold. The first project that I used the machine on was the cowboy belt that was in last weeks entry. I told the wife I was going back to do some sewing and a few minutes later she walked by and I showed her the finished belt. She said "but you didn't even have time to watch a movie". Typically I would have watched two movies while hand stitching that size belt. 
 
By the way I will be building gun belts in the near future. That is one of the reasons that I invested in this machine. The one that I wear daily took about 10 hours to hand stitch the 4500 stitches.



                              ︻┳テ=  Bam Bam  =



~~~~~~Whats on the Bench~~~~~~~~



That which we affectionately call the brick holster.



An Omni Skinny for the M&P shield


And just starting on a Omni Skinny and a hybrid for this Glock 42

No comments:

Post a Comment