Friday, November 14, 2014

The Progression of a Shooter / What's on the Bench



I will be the first to say that there are so many different ways that a shooter progresses. Not only that, but there are different goals for every shooter.

First time I picked up a hand gun, I could not hit the broad side of a barn. I was actually  amazed and dumbfounded at how difficult this was. After getting my CHL (concealed handgun license) I decided to have a goal, and my goal was to feel competent with any handgun I decided to pick up. Today, I can hit the broad side of a barn all day.

I think IDPA and USPSA   are very good tools to accomplish that goal. AND,  yes I know the arguments of training and competitions, so save your breath. I started off like every one else, I sucked. I did all the things that most shooters do in the beginning. Dry fire, lots of bullets, and lots of matches. And so little by little I sucked a little bit less.....baby steps. 
While I mostly shot my model 1911 which I liked to compete with, I would change it up with other guns on occasions. After all, the goal was to feel competent with any handgun. The stages of fire in competition are typically rehearsed movements yet every time I shoot it is instinctive. What I mean is after shooting a lot of matches, the movements and actions are not thought about, but just happen. Not giving thought to the draw, index, sight, movement and shot or other actions needed.   This past match I shot my main carry gun and daily carry gear for mags. And one comment I made at the match was "at least I suck consistently".   I came home from that match more content with my shooting than any other time that I can remember even though my score was one of the worst ever. I have come home with my chest puffed up because I "raced" better than usual, but this time it was because my little carry gun hit every target. even did some one handed shooting just to see if I could and reloaded out of the back pocket since that was how it would be in real life. I had a major malfunction and had to clear the gun but for the most part, I was happy in that I had never (I don't think) had that bad of a malfunction before and I just cleared it and marched on.   

My point is that  every shooters progression is different. It does not bother me if others progress differently or towards different goals (nor should it bother you). Since I started shooting, I have never done "race work" to a gun, (all the enhancements). Other than sights on  my 1911, I have shot every gun  factory stock because I have had one goal: to  feel competent with most any handgun. By the way, after an adrenaline dump, what good are those fancy sites that you cant focus on? And that heavy trigger after running a 2-pound trigger all the time? Just my thoughts, my personal goals and progressions. What are yours?

Oh, and naturally for competition or daily carry, you will do better with a Bam Bam Holster............ just saying.



Whats On the bench?

Well, the "wingman" has progressed but has been on hold for the most part. 
Have been working on two similar "avengers" and have to admit that one of them had a crash and burn. I increased the cant and did not get the pattern just right.  I have often said that it is hard to believe, but the paper pattern is the hardest part of the holster building process. If it is off, then the whole holster is off and usually not noticed until the very end. 

 
The next one I have affectionately named "The Brick".  Unusual design as well, The request was a holster fashioned like a western holster, in that it hangs lower. And then a looser fit with a retention strap. Purposed for wearing when hunting. We will see how she goes. 
 
Stitching.....stitching .....stitching, seems like all I do. be some updates on that in the near future though, That update has slowed down production for now......more to come.





And one of the "avengers" finished.

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this post and the progression of you holsters and matches.

    I can't wait to see pictures of your John Wayne belt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be the only window cleaner that you might mistake for John Wayne!

    ReplyDelete